This recipe for bacon caramels was provided by Foodista.com – The Cooking Encyclopedia Everyone Can Edit and it takes 45 minutes to complete. Unfortunately, it isn't a very popular recipe right now, but hopefully that will change soon!This one is not a sustainable recipe, so if you are concerned about the environment then maybe this one isn't for you. Don't worry all you seliacs because this one is gluten free! There is dairy in this recipe, so anyone who is lactose intolerante might want to pass on it. This recipe fits perfectly with the gluten free diet. Right now it is sitting pretty with 43 likes.
- 8 Thick - Slices Of Bacon ( cooked)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup - Sugar
- 2 teaspoons - Vanilla
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees . Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper . Lay bacon strips on sheet and bake in oven for 200 to 250 minutes or until crispy .
- Remove bacon to paper towel-lined plate to cool . Crumble 5 to 6 strips of bacon and leave the rest in strips . Line an 913 (or larger!) rimmed baking sheet with parchment . In a heavy-bottomed pot (I love my Le Creuset), add sugar, water and corn syrup over medium-high heat .
- Let mixture bubble and stir occasionally, to evaporate water . Sugar will begin to caramelize and turn a lovely shade of amber . Use a thermometer to monitor caramel . When it reaches 320 degrees and is golden brown in color, slowly whisk in cream, butter and vanilla, until completely combined . When caramel reaches 243 degrees, remove from heat and pour into lined baking sheet . Cool for 15 minutes, and add bacon strips . Cool further, until caramel is pliable and easier to handle .
- Roll caramel and bacon strips jelly-roll style once, and trim off excess . Continue to roll and trim until youve finished off the pan .
- Cut the bacon caramel logs into bite-sized pieces . Top with reserved bacon bits .
- Serve on a platter, or roll in wax paper . Keep refrigerated, but let come to room temperature before eating . http://www . fureyandthefeast . com/2009/09/bacon-caramels/ .
Nutrients Per Serving:
32.69 cal   /   1.63% daily need*
1.96 g   /   3.02% daily need*
- Saturated Fat
1.15 g   /   7.17% daily need*
3.62 g   /   1.21% daily need*
3.52 g   /   3.92% daily need*
6.38 mg   /   2.13% daily need*
21.36 mg   /   0.93% daily need*
0.34 g   /   0.68% daily need*
- Vitamin A
61.76 IU   /   1.24% daily need*