This recipe for mini-cherry pies was provided by Foodista.com – The Cooking Encyclopedia Everyone Can Edit and it can be completed in 45 minutes. Unfortunately, it isn't a very popular recipe right now, but hopefully that will change soon!Unfortunately, this one isn't gluten free. If gluten is something you are trying to avoid, then this recipe might not be the best option. It has 3 likes across various platforms. This recipe isn't dairy free, so if you are lactose intolerant maybe this one isn't for you. This recipe is not considered to be sustainable if that is a consideration for you. This recipe fits perfectly with the lacto ovo vegetarian diet.
- 2 pounds sour cherries, pitted
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into ½- inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 tablespoon cup plus 2 cold water, divided
- Add butter to flour mixture, pulsing until mixture is crumbly, approximately 300 seconds . With the food processor running,gradually add 2/3 cup cold water, in a slow steady stream, through lid opening until mixture forms a ball . Flatten dough into 20 disks, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10 hour . Preheat oven to 350 degrees . On a lightly floured surface, roll 10 pastry disk to a 1/8-inch thickness . Fit dough into 120 (2-1/2-inch) mini pie plates . Trim dough around the edges . Freeze until dough is firm, approximately 100 minutes . Prick the bottoms and sides of dough with a fork .
- Bake until golden, 6 to 8 minutes . In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining 2 tablespoons cold water, stirring until mixture is blended . In a large saucepan, combine cherries, cornstarch mixture, remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt . Cook over medium heat until cherries are soft and mixture is thick .
- Add lemon juice and vanilla, stirring to combine . On a lightly floured surface, roll remaining pastry disk to a 1/8-inch thickness .
- Cut dough into very thin (1/8 to 1/4-inch-wide) strips . Arrange enough dough strips vertically side by side to achieve at least a 2-1/2-inch width . Pull back halfway every other vertical strip, and place a strip horizontally across remaining vertical strips . Return to their original positions the vertical strips that were pulled back, and pull back the other vertical strips .
- Place another strip horizontally across remaining vertical strips as close as possible to first horizontal strip . Continue to tightly weave 1 horizontal strip at a time into the vertical strips, working out form the center to make at least a 2-1/2-x-2-1/2-inch lattice top for each mini pie . Using a spatula, carefully transfer lattice tops to prepared pie plates . Using a knife, trim the edges . Gently press edge of lattice tops to seal .
- Brush top and edges of dough with cream . Sprinkle the top of each pie with 1 teaspoon turbinado sugar .
- Bake until crusts are golden, 18 to 24 minutes .
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired .
Nutrients Per Serving:
447.68 cal   /   22.38% daily need*
20.26 g   /   31.17% daily need*
- Saturated Fat
10.93 g   /   68.31% daily need*
62.59 g   /   20.86% daily need*
26.67 g   /   29.63% daily need*
45.81 mg   /   15.27% daily need*
4.79 mg   /   0.21% daily need*
5.73 g   /   11.46% daily need*
0.53 mg   /   26.38% daily need*
- Vitamin B1
0.38 mg   /   25.12% daily need*
14.6 µg   /   20.86% daily need*
81.15 µg   /   20.29% daily need*
- Vitamin B2
0.25 mg   /   14.68% daily need*
- Vitamin B3
2.64 mg   /   13.18% daily need*
2.34 mg   /   13.02% daily need*
3.12 g   /   12.5% daily need*
- Vitamin A
578.62 IU   /   11.57% daily need*
0.16 mg   /   8.03% daily need*
79.5 mg   /   7.95% daily need*
- Vitamin C
5.84 mg   /   7.08% daily need*
239.96 mg   /   6.86% daily need*
23.36 mg   /   5.84% daily need*
- Vitamin E
0.62 mg   /   4.11% daily need*
- Vitamin B5
0.4 mg   /   4.01% daily need*
0.56 mg   /   3.74% daily need*
- Vitamin B6
0.07 mg   /   3.31% daily need*
- Vitamin K
3.3 µg   /   3.14% daily need*
26.73 mg   /   2.67% daily need*
- Vitamin D
0.31 µg   /   2.07% daily need*